Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Odds & Ends

Hello everyone again. As the title of the subject suggests, I have a few odds and ends to share today. Starting off with soccer...the World Cup continues. I realized that I forgot to mention a couple of other favorite teams-these are Spain and Mexico. The US lost their game 3-0. The Czech Republic played really well and the US didn't help themselves by playing pretty poorly. Watching the Czech Republic play reminded me of kolaches (yum), wish I could stop down in West on the way to my folk's house. Ecuador has a big game on Thursday, Si Se Puede or yes we can!!! Enough about football (real football/futbol, not tacklethepersonwiththeball)!
Well, we've started follow-up with some of the different people that the volunteers met. It is going well but is quite a big undertaking. Please pray that it will continue to go well.
Now, I would like to share some lyrics from another favorite singer, Ricky Skaggs. If you've never heard any Skaggs, I definitely recommend him, especially if you like ole-timey music or bluegrass. I especially recommend listening to the song that I'm putting the lyrics to, it is quite touching and might even bring a tear to the eye.
Halfway Home Cafe by Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder (lyrics by Paul Overstreet)
I was pourin' coffee for table number one
I couldn't help but hear him what was going on
It got my attention when I heard a young man's voice
Saying sheriff I'll be going now if its alright with you boys
Those years I spent in prison stole too much time from me
I won't waste another minute if I'm really free.
Chorus: I'm goin' home my family's waitin' for me goin' home
I'm amazed that they still love me
They forgive me for the bitter seeds I've sown
Heaven knows I've been away to long
So now I'm going home.
A burger and a special for table number eight
I was bussin' number seven when I heard her young heart break
He told her it was over, they could never meet again
That he found a taste of courage, twisted on his wedding band
Her tears began to fall but they could not touch his heart
I heard him say "I'm sorry But it was all wrong from the start."
Chorus repeats
There's a million other stories from the Halfway Home Cafe
It's a never ending saga and they're played out every day
But this one's finally over, the foods all put away
And the coffee pot stands empty at the Halfway Home Cafe
But over in the corner at table number three
Sits a father and a runaway, well it looks that way to me
I said "I hate to interrupt you but its really gettin' late"
The young girl looked up smilin she said "Mister that's ok."
Chorus:
I'm goin' home my family's waitin' for me goin' home
I'm amazed that they still love me
They forgive me for the bitter seeds I've sown
Heaven knows I've been away to long
So now I'm going home, I'm goin' home...

Just a great song about redemption and grace. It kind of reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32). I know we've all been at that point, away from God, not being where we need to be, but he is ready to take us back and receive us as sons/daughters. That's the thing about the love of God, it is unconditional-we can do nothing to earn it or lose it, we can only receive it as a gift. This story is a parallel about the love/forgiveness of God. Just like the father in the story not only takes his son back, he throws him a party. The same is true with God-"let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found again."
Now, I'd like to put a picture of us and a special volunteer that came that we know as 'Aunt Peggy.' I know it's been a while since we've put a picture of us, so here it is. Hello Aunt Peggy! In the background is 'our valley' and the mountains beyond it...please continue to pray that God's Spirit, Word and purpose would fill the valley.

2 Comments:

Blogger South American Rains said...

Hey, Costa Rica has a big game the same time as Ecuador on Thursday. We think we can, we think we can, we think we can...

10:36 PM  
Blogger Arnold Austin Jr said...

Y'all are going down tomorrow. At least [I can dream about it.]

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home