Monday, April 03, 2006

Ilalo #1

Before going to sleep, I will put some pictures from a trip I took yesterday. With that, I want to let you all know that with the help of my supervisor (Phil Calvert), I figured out why I couldn't post pictures on the blog. We resolved the problem and will now be able to post pictures.

Here is a picture of a corn field along with Mt. Cotopaxi in the background. As I begin writing about this journey, I want to let you know that this was one of the best days I've had in Ecuador yet. There is just something special about being able to experiencing new things that makes life a little more special. In that, just getting away and seeing God's creation and power in nature really helps. On the trip, I went with a good friend, Francisco, who I had met in one of the churches in another town. He is a really cool guy and we had a lot of fun and we had an opportunity to know one other a little more.

Here is a picture of Francisco and me at the top of Mt. Ilalo. I think there are some pictures of part of Ilalo on other posts on the blog. We found out the part that is near our house is only the tip of the iceberg...there is another part of the mountain behind that which is much higher. It was amazing to be able to see everything from there.
I don't have to worry about missing springtime back in Texas too much as we have bluebonnets here. There were quite a few all over the mountain.


To get a little perspective of what we climbed, this is another side of the mountain. I did some research on the internet and found the mountain is an inactive volcano. I also found out that it is about 10,000 feet in elevation. There are also some kind of ruins of an ancient civilization on one side of it (we didn't see that yesterday, that will be another trip and another post!)

Here is a picture of a huge metal cross that was on part of the mountain. Later on, we saw these people climbing it. I would venture to say the cross is at least 90-100 feet tall.
I guess this is all for now. I have so many nice pictures from yesterday. I will have to post more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home