Friday, March 31, 2006

My sad futbol (soccer) career

Here are some pictures from a couple of my soccer games. I am playing on an intramural team here at the University. Let's just say that God has made it abundantly clear that God has called me to Himself and to missions, not to soccer.
Here is a rundown of our season...
1st game-8-0, 2nd game-4-3, our best game and a game which we should've tied, 3rd game-4-0, 4th game-10-1, a game in which our goalkeeper didn't show up and even if he had, it wouldn't have been all that pretty. Thankfully, we have one more game left before being put out of our misery. I don't mean to sound so negative because it has been a fun and a great way to meet people. Also, Christine has been a faithful cheerleader.

Here is a picture of me trying my hand at goalkeeper for the last couple of minutes of the game (after about 3 or 4 other teammates tried). Fortunately, they didn't score any more goals on me. However, I accidentally scored a goal for the other team at an earlier point in the game (an own goal). As you can see things went from bad to worse. First, we were losing horribly. Then with each goal, the other team would celebrate in grand fashion. Then, it started pouring down for the last 15 minutes of the game. To top it off, my attitude was not what it needed to be. Eventually, I worked through it with God's help and hopefully learned something. In the words of a great Andrew Peterson song, "Well, I realize that falling down ain't graceful, But I thank the Lord that falling's full of grace."

1 Comments:

Blogger South American Rains said...

It is good to see you are able to play soccer there. I have been able to play about 4 hours a week. I pray that I will have a soccer outlet in Peru next year. I thought about you Wed. night. One of my professors took Arnold, two other guys, and myself to a soccer game. It was the semi-final game to an International League Championship. You would have loved it. It was even filled with the drama of fans kicking the fences open and storming the field to pursuit the referees. I'm glad I wasn't refing that game.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home