Wednesday, March 15, 2006

RAIN

Well, the rainy season is in full swing now. A Forrest Gump quote comes to mind-"We got all kinds of rain. Stinging rain, big old fat rain, and rain that seemed to come right up from the bottom." I don't know if I've ever seen so much rain in all of my life, except maybe during rainy seasons in Uganda-and even then, I think we are getting more here all at once.
Next, are some song lyrics I've been wanting to share...they deal both with South America and the rain. I just thought the song was kind of interesting. I wish there was a way I could put it on here. I may try to do that later on.
The Land of the Free-Andrew Peterson
Little Elba how’s the sun in South America? does it shine upon the faces of the poor? do they see in it the brilliance of the place that’s been prepared and dwell upon the hope of what’s in store?
Or are they just like me? do they only see an opportunity to complain about the heat?
Little Elba, how’s the rain in South America? Does it fall upon the rooftops of the sick? Do they thank the Lord for coming up with such a great idea and dream about a place beyond all this? Or are they just like us? do they gripe and fuss about the rain and mud when they’ve had too much?
‘Cause I’m just a little jealous of the nothing that you have, unfettered by the wealth of a world that we pretend is gonna last, they say God blessed us with plenty, I say you’re blessed with poverty ‘cause you never stop to wonder whether earth is just a little better than the Land of the Free
well, I’m weary of the spoils of my ambition and I’m shackled by the comfort of my couch, I wish I had the courage to deny these of myself and start to store my treasure in the clouds
‘Cause this is not my home I do not belong where the antelope and the buffalo roam, and I’m just a little jealous of the freedom that you have, unfettered by the wealth of a world that we pretend is gonna last, they say God blessed us with plenty I say you’re blessed with poverty ‘cause you never stop to wonder whether earth is just a little better than the Land of the Free.
so I hope you’re safe and dry in South America ‘cause I’m feeling pretty good in Tennessee, may you never be so happy you forget about your home...Your home in the Land of the Free.


Just a thought about some lyrics from this song...a couple of days ago we were out in this small town having a meeting with some church leaders. We were just having casual conversation, talking about the weather. I said that it was raining (demasiado) or too much. He then went on to tell me that the corn really needs the rain and that we should be thanking God for all the rain that we are getting. Now that put things in perspective! Here I am complaining about having to walk out in the rain cause it gets me wet and there are crops that are depending on the rain for their survival. By the way, the reference to the land of the free is not just to America, especially in the last line.
Here is a picture of a rainy and foggy day in Quito that I took a while back.
Now a scripture verse about rain...
(Psalm 147:8)-He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills.

1 Comments:

Blogger Embabazi said...

I love that song. Really convicting. Think of it every time it rains. Andrew Peterson is great.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home