Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Praise Report and Spurgeon quote

I just want to start off sharing an answered prayer. Our friend and new believer, Edwin recently got and started his job. I know I shared this prayer request before and I know many prayed and God answered this prayer. He had his first interview a couple of weeks ago and the job was between him and another guy. He had the 2nd interview on Monday and then he got the job. Praise the Lord on this! Just continue to pray for Edwin, his wife-Jenny and their family. They were recently baptized and I'm hoping to put the pictures on sometime soon.

Now, I want to share a quote about depression from preaching great, Charles H. Spurgeon, an English Baptist in the 19th century. I heard this quote in a series about King David by David Jeremiah in a message entitled 'David's Deep Depression.' It is pretty interesting and insightful. I recommed listening to this series about King David. If you want to listen to it online, click on this link and go from there... www.oneplace.com/Ministries/Turning_Point
"Before any great achievement in my life, some measure of depression is very usual. Such was my experience when I first became a pastor in London. My success appalled me, and the thought of that career, which seemed to be opening up, so far from elating me, cast me into the lowest depths of which I uttered my misery. I found no room for 'Gloria in excelsis.' Who was I, that I should continue to lead such a great multitude? I would slip away to my village of obscurity or prefer to emigrate to America and find a solitary rest in the back woods. It was just then," said Spurgeon, "that the curtain was rising on my greatest life's work, and I dreaded what it might reveal to me. I hope I was not faithless. But I was fearful and filled with the sense of my own unfitness. This depression sweeps over me whenever the Lord is preparing a larger blessing for my life and ministry."
Just a word that really spoke to me today and thought I would share it with you all. I don't want anyone to worry about us but I feel like we've been going through a bit of a valley recently. I am praying that we are coming out of it and I feel like we are at least seeing the mountaintop and being prepared for 'a great achievement in life' that God would have for us.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Guy Muse said...

I think most missionaries deal with depression and despondency a lot more than we care to admit. I know we do. Thanks for the encouraging Spurgeon quote. I sure hope he's right about depression being the precursor of a greater work of God in our life. We should be in line for quite a few great works of God!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home