Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter

Well, it's late Saturday night and I guess I feel like rambling. I know I don't feel like doing homework, so I guess I'm procrastinating. I have to prepare this speech or talk based on a Ecuadorian short story that I had to read. It really isn't all that big of a deal, I guess I just don't feel like doing it.
Anyways, I do feel like sharing an answered prayer request. I know it's been a while since we shared the prayer request but God answered it in an amazing way. A while back we shared about Ramiro who has cancer and his wife Eleanor. Well, Ramiro's stomach was disconnected from his intestines. The doctors were planning on doing surgery but they had some indications that the stomach may have connected to the intestines on their own (with a little help, of course). Sure enough, that is what they found out. So it looks like our God is still in the business of miracles and that things are looking up for them. Please continue to pray for them as Ramiro recovers.
Another quick prayer request...We are going to be watching the 'Jesus film' tomorrow night with a family that we've been having Bible study with.
Well, the other day I shared a prophesy about the suffering and death of Christ. Now for Easter, I would like to share a scripture about the Resurrection of Jesus. I really recommend reading all of 1 Cor. 15. By the way, the 'I's' in the passage represent the fact that this was originally written by the Apostle Paul, not me.
1 Corinthians 15:1-4- Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.
Now I (Ben) just want to remind you all of the greatest thing that ever happened...how Jesus died for the forgiveness of our sins. He didn't stay dead as everyone else will, even all the other religious leaders. He rose from the dead, in the flesh. This is what sets Jesus apart from all other religious leaders and what sets Christianity apart from all other religions. His resurrection gives us hope for a resurrection as well. This death and resurrection is what makes Jesus more than a great teacher or a moral leader, it is what makes him Lord. Now, to share a bit what C.S. Lewis had to say on this same topic from his great work, 'Mere Christianity'-
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about him: I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon and you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home