Saturday, July 08, 2006

a spanish language lesson, the world cup final, and creed

I just have a few different things to write about as usual...
The first is a little Spanish language lesson. Today's word is 'Esposas,' which means 'handcuffs.' Now, what makes this interesting is 'esposas/handcuffs' literally means, 'wives.' This is not a hit against marriage and is especially not a knock against my lovely wife...just don't let her know that I wrote this post. Now, even more interesting is the way I found out about this word. We were watching an episode of 'The Dukes of Hazzard' last night and I had put the subtitles in Spanish as usual (to help me learn a bit). Then, Roscoe P Coltrane busted out with his traditional, "I'm gonna cuff ya and stuff ya." The word it had on the subtitles for handcuffs was esposas or wives. I asked Christine about it and she said that was right. Now, what great therapy Dukes of Hazzard has been! It is is so much fun to watch car chases and things blow up. So, if you're going through a rough time, I personally recommend a little Duke boys.

Next, is the next to last World Cup update. The semifinals are finished and so is the 3rd place game. In the semis, Italy beat Germany with two goals in the last two minutes of added time (Good news, good news as Rosco Coltrane would say). In the other game, Portugal lost to France. So now, the final will be between France and Italy and that will be tomorrow. I really don't care for either team. I am predicting that Italy will win 2-1 and I guess I'll support them but won't be real excited about it. Today, Germany beat Portugal to get the 3rd place position.

Now, I want to share a bit of an update. The IWC team is here now. Some leaders from the team arrived a couple of days ago to set things up and that has gone really well. The rest of the team is arriving tonight and will get started tomorrow. Please pray for the team and the people they will be spending time with. Specifically, pray that God will draw the volunteers and the people they come into contact with closer to Him. Also, pray specifically that they will find people that will be interested in hosting Bible studies.

Creed, by Rich Mullins/written by him and Beaker
I believe in God the Father, Almighty Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth, And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son, our Lord He was conceived by the Holy Spirit Born of the virgin Mary Suffered under Pontius Pilate, He was crucified and dead and buried,
And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am I did not make it, no it is making me, It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man,
I believe that He who suffered was crucified, buried, and dead He descended into hell and on the third day, rose again He ascended into Heaven where He sits at God's mighty right hand, I believe that He's returning, To judge the quick and the dead of the sons of men,
And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am, I did not make it, no it is making me, It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man I believe it, I believe it I believe it I believe it, I believe it I believe in God the Father Almighty Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth, And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son, our Lord I believe in the Holy Spirit, One Holy Church, The communion of Saints, The forgiveness of sin, I believe in the resurrection, I believe in a life that never ends,
And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am, I did not make it, no it is making me, I did not make it, no it is making me, I said I did not make it, no it is making me, It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man I believe it, I believe I believe it...
***Here are some lyrics from a favorite Rich Mullins song that I heard again recently. It got me thinking and wanting to share these lyrics with you all. This song is based on the Apostle's Creed, which goes back to the early church and is contains the main truths of the Christian faith. The main line (in bold) shares the idea that we haven't made up the truths of God, that they are making or forming us-at least that is the way it should be. The problem is that humankind has invented and continues to invent its' own reality, yet the reality of God and the truth of His Way is so different than anything that has been offered or will ever be offered. What we have, are words of life. They offer hope, peace, forgiveness and a chance at a new kind of life for this world and the next. This is the idea that the reality of God and his truth should shape, mold and form us and our beliefs/lifestye in relation to God. We don't come up with our version of God or truth. I think a verse from Scripture will sum this up even more. 2 Peter 1:19-21-"And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

3 Comments:

Blogger South American Rains said...

Dukes of Hazzard?! That is not fair. I haven't seen that in a while. Maybe it will be on in Peru.
The World Cup is and was a big disappointment for me as well.
Lastly, I LOVE RICH MULLINS! He is my all time favorite song writer. I truly believe that God took him early so he could make more music in heaven. I look forward to singing with him one day.
Take care and have a great week!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Arnold Austin Jr said...

I love the Dukes...grew up on them. It was much better before Enis moved to the big city...and his stand alone show stunk. I wish I had some Duke therapy.

Number two...go Italy.

Number 3 Rich songs are just that RICH. Rich in meaning.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home