Saturday, July 29, 2006

Vote for Christine's New Hobby

I've recently realized that daily life activities had not let me have much time for a hobby. So I have decided to become more intentional about having fun and relaxing and finding intellectual and creative stimulation. Here are some of the options so far:
1. Pouring my own concrete


Advantages: Long-term life skill. I helped my dad pour concrete in the States, so I have some rudimentary knowledge of the subject. We also have a hefty bag of cement in the stairwell of our house.

Drawbacks: I can't heft the shovel full of cement over my head to fill the form. Also, there are a limited number of things I could concrete. And although my brother once made my sister-in-law a concrete bracelet, that jewelry trend hasn't taken off. Yet.

2. Learning all the lyrics to the 70s band Bread songs


Advantages: Karaoke machines, watch out!

Drawbacks: Not too challenging since I found this CD for $1 on the street and I already know a lot of the words. (They saved on consumer cost by omitting an L from the word "millenium".) Also might get melancholy with so many soul-rending songs.

3. Weaving horse hair



Advantages: Learning a dying, traditional art of a neighboring town.

Drawbacks: Apparently sitting like this for your whole life kills your knees.




4. Baking


Advantages: I can always find willing taste-testers of goodies prepared from my new Baking at High Altitude cookbook. (See satisfied customer in picture with snickerdoodle. I have prepared him 6 goodies in one week. Stop the madness and cholesterol!)

Drawbacks: I can only be so creative trying to find substitutes for certain baking goods not available here (molasses, maple flavoring, pecans, blueberries to name a few). Also, have experienced some difficulty regulating rogue inferno oven.

5. Boiling water (No picture available, watched pots never boiling and what.)
Advantages: Helps maintain personal hygiene when water is somewhat available from a reserve tank (but at such low pressure it cannot be heated). Especially helpful this week as the city water has been off every day and reserve tank sole source of the precious liquid.

Drawbacks: Not too much creativity in boiling water, contrary to popular belief. The only diversity is found in the pot to be used and the burner I choose on the stove (said stove related to rogue inferno oven mentioned above). Also, perhaps too much of a necessity to make it a hobby.
6. Finding Great Irony and Photo Shots at the Same Time

Advantages: Unlimited opportunities. For example, the above sign threatens a $500 fine (like 6 months wages for some) to littering offenders. As you can see, the fine is not strictly enforced. In fact, someone has actually helped the dog find something to tear up and munch on.
Drawbacks: The camera always seems left at home at the best ironic moments. Also don't want to seem like a tourist too much of the time.

So please let me know which of the above you think would be the best hobby for me in the comments section. I'm also open for suggestions.

My most sincere gratitude,
Christine R. Haley

8 Comments:

Blogger J. Guy Muse said...

I vote for #6, it will always give you something new to blog about, as well as providing the needed accompanying photos. This way you kill two birds with one stone!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to keep baking for Ben - he needs to fatten up a bit!! Also, I think creating a book of things like this, your driving game, and other creativeness from your everyday life would be good- But I think you have a really good sense of humor. I would think you'd have a hard time building concrete things and people from Missouri don't bend like the lady weaving horse hair so I think you better opt for something else. What is the bird that was in the picture on down the blog?? Just wondering. Your Missouri Momma

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ben & Christine Haley said...

I just wanted to say that my dad wrote a comment as well, but didn't post it on the blog. His words of wisdom were something along the lines of "A hobby is not something you NEED to do everyday, so that means no baking or boiling water". Just to let everyone hear the great news: we finally got water today (after 4.5 days without it!). Well, we've had some water trickling from the reserve tank on the roof, but the city water came back on. So that means long hot showers and several loads of laundry! Praise God!

We don't know what kind of bird that is that we saw on Cotopaxi. Any suggestions from the audience?Christine

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ben & Christine Haley said...

Ben's folks add their opinions to the discussion: Mike says I should go with concrete since girls these days don't usually like to get their hands dirty. And Donna says I should keep baking so Ben can gain weight.

Christine

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for baking...good luck in the high altitudes though :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Deron and Mary Beth Meilstrup said...

I say weaving horse hair, or any kind of weaving for that matter. It's a dying art, and you could create many lovely family heirloons.
Or how about gardening? Aren't there lots of roses in Ecuador?
Photography would also be fun, but I know what you mean about never having the camera at the right moment. There are so many times I've wished for camera eyeglasses. (They are available online, you know.)

MB

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta vote for #2. no wait, #1 no wait.. boiling water is too easy at high altitudes... maybe you should take up knitting? I'd be happy to teach you when I come back!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

I vote for more cookies for Ben. If I had an oven I would be baking cookies, but all I have is a crazy stove.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home