Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ballpark Tour, Isaiah 12 and Questions for heaven


I know what your thinking...baseball in Ecuador?-WRONG! I wish. The only baseball here is what comes via internet radio on my computer and a few games on cable now and then (have only seen a couple of those, though.) Anyways, I was looking at some pictures from last summer and decided to put some of these pictures on from different ballparks. If you don't know, I'm a big baseball fan. I love to go the games, especially. As it's in the thick of summer and the Rangers aren't too far out of first place, I am really missing going to the games. So, here's a little virtual tour of some different ballparks that I went to last summer in honor of being away from baseball.
This first picture is from my favorite park in the world, the Ballpark in Arlington, though the powers that be decided to change it to Ameriquest park.com a couple of years ago. Forever in my heart it will be the ballpark. Go Rangers, go! The friend with me there is Juan, a Cuban friend that we knew in Ft. Worth. A great guy and brother in Christ. I was able to talk to Juan and his wife Tania few days ago on the phone and that was a great encouragement on how far I have come with Spanish. Talking to them helped me to remember what shape my Spanish was in when I left and what it is now.
The next two are a dream come true-Wrigley Field. I was able to go here on a trip through the Midwest with Christine and her folks last summer and this is one place we went while in Chicago. Unfortunately, the Cubs lost to the Rockies that day, but it was an awesome experience. It was really like taking a step back in time. Fenway will be next.
There she is, Wrigley Field!

While in Chicago, I also got to go the 2005 World Champ Chicago White Sox park...unfortunately, they weren't in town, so I didn't get to go to a game but did get to stop by outside the park.

Now for a little scripture and Chris Rice lyrics...

Here's another good 'un from Isaiah. Isaiah 12-In that day you will say: "I will praise you, O LORD. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforrted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."
With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. In that day you will say: "Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you."

The parts of the verses in purple/blue are the parts of the verses that have meant a lot to me at various times. The first is that God is our salvation. He is the one that provides it and has offered it. Salvation doesn't come from us, it is a gift of God. The next is a nice reminder that strength and song also comes from God. This has been a nice reminder as we've been so busy here recently. I think the strength represents physical and spiritual, at least I've seen that in my life. I think the song part represents the joy and peace that God has given us, even in the midst of crazy circumstances. The last is what we've been trying to do, make known among the nations what God has done...this is big part of God's heart and I pray that you would be involved in making God's name known and praised in all the world. Pray how God would have you involved in his heart and his desire for the nations to know Him.

The following are lyrics from a favorite singer of mine, Chris Rice. He is just an amazing singer and songwriter. If you haven't had the chance, I strongly recommend listening to his music. I will put lyrics from some of his songs in the next few blogs. This one is cool...can you think of any questions for heaven? Feel free to put them in the comments section.
Questions For Heaven-Chris Rice and Monroe Jones

Feel the sun in my eyes, Swat that clumsy fly, Woke me up from a dream about heaven, I’m smellin’ coffee downstairs, Yawn a quick little prayer, And get up at a quarter to seven, The mirror catches my stare, Got some nice pillow hair, And I smile all the way to the bathroom, Scratch my whiskery chin, Now my cranium swims, With questions I can’t wait to ask You, Like, why did You bother with so many stars? Do You ever play tricks on the angels? And what happened to all those dinosaurs? Where’s the Garden of Eden? And what causes deja vu? I guess in heaven I’ll learn, I’ll be waiting my turn, To ask about quasars and feathers, i hope the line isn’t long, I hope Your patience is strong, It’s a good thing forever’s forever! Do our jokes make You laugh? What’s Your favorite cologne? Can You tell me what’s out past the edges? And what about UFO’s, taste buds and tornados? Why do we dream? Oh, and what causes deja vu? Time to call it a day, Time to turn off my brain, It’s already half past eleven, I reach to turn out the light, Close my sleepy eyes, I’ll save all the questions for heaven, I’ll save all the questions for heavenI’m saving up questions for heaven. Copyright 2000 Clumsy Fly Music (ASCAP)

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben & Christine Haley said...

i have a couple of questions for heaven...
1. When are the Rangers going to get good pitching?
2. Why does no one ever comment on the blog (except arnold austin)?
guess this is all for now...i forgot to mention I will continue the ballpark tour next time.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Deron and Mary Beth Meilstrup said...

What did Jesus stoop and write in the sand while He was speaking to the Pharisees about the woman caught in adultery (John 8)?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Whitfield Family said...

The Rangers picked up Kip Wells (fellow Baylor alum so he must be good) from Pittsburgh last week and he looked really good in his first start. Maybe he and Adam Eaton will help the playoff drive.

12:51 AM  
Blogger South American Rains said...

Hey, I've been commenting.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home