Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sheppard quote, Kid's prayers and El Quinche

"Jesus didn't just come to die, he came to show us how to live." -Paul Sheppard
A quote taken from his latest sermon series going through the book of Romans...quite thought provoking. I really recommend a listen to this series from a great Bible teacher...it is quite interesting, has great material and doctrine on the faith/practical living teaching as well. (Go to the link on the right hand side and go from there).

The next item is related to kid's prayers. I saw these in a book that I gave to a friend a couple of years back and then saw these again in a forwarded email. Just wanted to share them with you all. There are a couple of them that are funny and the other two are quite thought-provoking.
-"Thank you for the baby brother, but what I prayed for was a puppy."-Joyce
-"If you watch in church on Sunday, I will show you my new shoes."-Mickey D.
-"I bet it is hard for you to love all of everybody in the whole world. There are only four people in our family and I can never do it." -Nan
-"Dear God, I think about you sometimes even when I'm not praying."-Elliot

The last item is related to Ramon's story and about El Quinche. I had shared before about El Quinche in a previous post. It is a big pilgrimage site for the Virgin of El Quinche. Well, we had a group of volunteers go there one day. Beforehand, I had requested prayer for this special area. Now, I would like to share an update with you. To the left is a picture of the cathedral there. The first story is about Ramon, he is the one that I shared about in a previous post-he said that if God hadn't rescued him and brought him to where he is now, he would be dead or in prison. Well, one of the volunteers met Ramon in one of the other towns but he and his wife are from the El Quinche area and are planning on moving back. I had a chance to meet him when the volunteers were here and spent more time with him last week. He is a really solid guy and has been a Christian for about 2 years. He wants to start works in the area of El Quinche. In fact, his family already has a house church that has been meeting for about 2 years. We went last Sunday and had a wonderful time. This is a group that is already existing and is the kind of group that we would like to see multiplied throughout the Valley. We hope to work with Ramon and his family to see more of these groups started. One cool thing about going out there is that the family has a small farm and they gave us a small tour. The best part is that their main crop is strawberries and they let us pick some to take home. Will have to share about Edwin's family(another family from the El Quinche area) another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home