Monday, August 07, 2006

The face of Christ & Ballpark Tour, part 2

The following is another favorite Chris Rice song of mine. It really makes you think of those that are in a difficult place in life. We really think of it here, just being surrounded by so much poverty. You feel there is only so much you can do, but you also have to realize that is better than nothing. I encourage you to read Matthew 25:31-46 about the sheep and goats that will be divided. The passage is summed in verse 40-"Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. (Christ)"
I don't just want to talk about poverty and injustice in this world, I want to challenge us to do something about it. In this, I want to suggest a couple of practical ways that you can help. One of them, we are already involved in and it has been a great experience. We are sponsoring an orphan boy in Uganda through Compassion International (www.ci.org). Another one is through the International Mission Board, and this is the company we are working with. Throughout the world, they have different hunger/disaster relief projects that you can be involved with. (http://resources.imb.org/index.cfm/fa/donation.worldhunger.cfm) The last one to mention is World Relief (www.worldrelief.org), the company that Christine worked for in Ft Worth. They have various relief /development projects around the world as well. I encourage you to get involved in any one of these projects that is attempting to help the least of our brothers. I would love to hear stories of how you all are involved or will become involved in any of these projects. Feel free to put any comments or email us about your stories and involvement as well. To find more information about these projects just click on any of the aformentioned links.

The Face of Christ-Chris Rice
He shares a room outside with a dozen other guys, And the only roof he knows is that sometimes starry sky, A tattered sleeping bag on a concrete slab is his bed, And it’s too cold to talk tonight, So I just sit with him instead and think,
How did I find myself in a better place, I can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face, ‘Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye, I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing, With the face of Christ,
After sixteen years in a cold, gray prison yard, Somehow his heart is soft, but keeping simple faith is hard He lays his Bible open on the table next to me, And as I hear his humble prayer, I feel his longing to be free someday,
How did I find myself in a better place, I can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face, ‘Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye, I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing, With the face of Christ, See you had no choice which day you would be born, Or the color of your skin, or what planet you’d be on, Would your mind be strong, would your eyes be blue or brown, Whether daddy would be rich, or if momma stuck around at all, So if you find yourself in a better place, You can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face, You gotta stoop down low, look him square in the eye, And get a funny feeling, ‘cause you might be dealing ...How did I find myself in a better place, I can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face, ‘Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye, I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing, With the face of Christ. Copyright 2000 Clumsy Fly Music (ASCAP)

Next, let the ballpark tour continue...
This one is from the Great American Ballpark in Cinncinnati, home of the Reds. They lost this particular day to the Pirates but I got to see Ken Griffey Jr hit a home run. It is a really beautiful park, right by the Ohio River. I was able to go there with my former roommate Chris (we were in Uganda together).
These next two are from the old and new Busch park, in St. Louis. They are using the new one that they were building last year. I didn't get to see a game there, in the old one last year. The Cards weren't in town and we were just passing through for one night any way.
This next one is from Kansas City. Went there last year and saw my Rangers lose the Royals in a close game-Que pena! or what shame! The next day they whipped on the Royals, though. I also saw a game the Royals win a game against the Tigers the year before.
This last one is from LaGrave Field in Ft. Worth, the home of the Cats. I had several fun nights out there, especially last year as they won the Central Baseball League. They are in an independent league and back in the day were a AA farm team for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
So, take me out to the ballgame...

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Guy Muse said...

My own belief about those we should help are those that the Lord specifically puts in our lives. Those that cross our paths with needs. We are to help them with what we have on hand. I don't always follow or obey this advise, but it is what I feel. Another way to help, similar to what you write, is to lay aside a certain percentage of ones income and designate it for helping other people's needs.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home