Sunday, April 30, 2006

Names in Ecuador, Abba/Daddy, and surrender

Just wanted to let you all know about names here in Ecuador...most of them are 'normal' like Juan, Angel, Miguel or Diego. However, every once in a while you will come across these weird names like Stalin, Lenin, Darwin and today I met a 'Hitler.' You gotta wonder what dad and mom were thinking when they named their son Hitler. Can you just imagine, 'come here, little Hitler.' I don't know what it is but some of the people here have a penchant for naming their children after evil dictators and mad scientists. Anyways, just a funny thought to share.
Now for some lyrics from a favorite song and some thoughts from it...
'Hold Me Jesus'-by Rich Mullins
Well, sometimes my life just don't make sense at all, When the mountains look so big and my faith just seems so small
CHORUS: So hold me Jesus, 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf, You have been King of my glory, Won't You be my Prince of Peace
And I wake up in the night and feel the dark it's so hot inside my soul, I swear there must be blisters on my heart
Surrender don't come natural to me, I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want than to take what You give that I need,
And I've beat my head against so many walls, now I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees

And this Salvation Army band is playing this hymn, And Your grace rings out so deep it makes my resistance seem so thin
CHORUS
You have been King of my glory, Won't You be my Prince of Peace

I just really love this song and the picture it gives. The message in this song has helped me in critical points in my life.
It says, God, you have been my King of glory-you are all powerful, you are King and Judge, you are sovereign. Not only that, the story doesn't end there...you are a Father that holds his little ones with love, compassion and concern (hence, the visual I put here of the baby in this update). That is why one of His names is 'Abba' or 'Daddy' in Hebrew. Here is a verse from the Bible that has this name and this idea- (Romans 8:15)-'For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, "Abba, Father." Isn't this beautiful? We don't have to live our lives in fear, at least if we have believed on the one that has died and risen to make all things new. Those that have believed and now follow Him are his sons and He is our daddy, our Abba. I also wanted to write a bit about the lyrics from the song that I italicized..this part just talks about the difficulty of surrender and letting go. How beautiful and how freeing it is once we finally let go! We finally say, I'm tired, I give up...Boss, you're in control. You're the potter, I'm the clay, do with me what you will. Fill my life with your purpose. The struggle, weariness, and doubt is gone from a life lived on one's own and is replaced with peace and meaning from a life given back to the One who made it and Who gave it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arnold Austin Jr said...

That's so interesting!

8:01 AM  
Blogger South American Rains said...

One of my favorite songs from my favorite song writer.

6:09 PM  
Blogger B&R said...

Prayed for you today

4:00 AM  
Blogger J. Guy Muse said...

Welcome to Ecuador! Many people in Ecuador name their children after "infamous people" not because they identify with their evilness, but just simply out of ignorance thinking they are giving their children a name that is famous and well known!

When I was growing up in Quito as an MK my team back then was Liga (from your previous post). Now that we live on the coast of Ecuador our teams are Barcelona and Emelec!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home