Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Joint service in Ascazubi

Hello everyone. Well, we're still waiting the arrival of the baby. It could be any time this week, so we're kind of hanging out and waiting. We ask you to pray for us as we wait for baby and especially pray for his birth- that there would be no complications and everything would go smoothly.
Yesterday, I went out to Ascazubi (Ramon's home church) for a special joint service. A group came from Chumillos, which is up in the mountains, up from El Quinche. These people are Quichuas (the main indigenous group in Ecuador). It was a special time of celebration and fellowship. The music was just amazing. It was traditional Ecuadorian music with words from different Psalms and Christian songs. Following are a couple of verses that deal with praising and singing to God.
Psalm 92:1-4-"It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning, and your faithfulness at night, to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp. For you make me glad by your deeds, O Lord; I sing for joy at the works of your hands."
Colossians 3:16-"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God."

Here's the ladies choir from the Chumillos church. You can see that they are wearing their traditional dress.
Here's a group of young men from the Chumillos church that sang a couple of songs. They had a guitar and a couple of charangos. I guess I could describe a charango as similar to a mandolin. It has a high-pitched sound and is a traditional instrument. I really like the sound of it. It is quite common in traditional Andean music.
This is part of the group from Ramon's church. There is Ramon, Noe, Pastor Jaime and Roberto. Roberto visits from Quito every now and then. He plays guitar really well. I took some short videos of the service with my digital camera. I may try to put them on but it probably will not work, as I have tried it before without working.
This picture was taken after the service was over and we were waiting for lunch. I had noticed after service that everyone put their hats on and I wanted to get this picture. Christine said she especially liked it, with the way that the young girl was looking back.
As I close, I want you to know that tomorrow (May 21) is Christine's birthday, so pray for her on her special day and send her an email if you can. I guess this is all for now. We'll let you know when anything happens. Thanks for praying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home